BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Type of Typology

Typology done with nail polish. Click for larger image.

This was a really difficult assignment for me this week so I'll get right down to that for this post.

Our assignment for class was to make a Becher Grid/Typology based on the work of Bernd and Hilla Becher.

My creative juices we just not flowing this week which is not good when you need to be creative. I wanted so badly to do a typology with origami, I even checked out a few books from the library. It just didn't work out (for various reasons) so I tried a different approach with earrings and they just didn't photograph well. Long story short, I remembered my plethora of nail polish and decided to go with that. So I took a tablecloth and set up a little studio in my kitchen and off I went.

I hadn't anticipated the amount of detail work this project would need! I had to put down a piece of tape to try and make sure the bottles were photographed in the same spot, at relatively the same angle. My camera I used is my cell phone (LG Optimus G Pro) camera and there is no tripod for that so I used the case as a stand and had to be reeeeeally careful not move it when I took the pictures.

I ended up taking three sets of pictures because the first two were very, very different in terms of their exposure and all of that (the backgrounds were noticeably different for one thing). I finally realized I had the white balance set to auto. Once I turned that off, the final set turned out pretty similar.

I used Corel Photo Paint X6 for this project because I am slightly familiar with it and I also knew I would need grids which that is capable of producing easily. I first straightened each image slightly because they looked a little "off" to me. Then I took each image and squared it up to with cropping. I then took each image and resized it to a smaller size. I didn't change any of the other settings on this assignment because I took great care on my lighting beforehand (and it was a controlled environment) and liked how they looked (but I did use the value editing process to try and fix my other two series of photos).

I started a new image and added the photos in as objects/layers. I then used the grid feature to add an even spacing between the pictures and arranged them to my liking which ended up being in order of color. After merging all of the layers to the background (I chose a color that would compliment the images), I saved it and posted it.

The editing part was really pretty easy (except for a small error I made with the straightening that gave me a white line on the top... had to start over) in comparison to taking the actual photos. I like how this turned out and would probably just change the subject if I could change anything but I did learn a lot during this assignment so that's a huge plus!

Stay colorful!

0 comments: